Jan 22, 2008

Today I made found my way to Ile de Re, a 30km long island off the coast of La Rochelle. I've seen signs in town leading to the island so I didn't think it would be a sweat. However once I got about four turns in I realized it was spitting me onto the highway, not good for the little American cyclist. Luckily I noticed a sign with a bike on it reading "Ile de Re." I hopped on and sure enough I had to navigate a half dozen turns with out signs, anyway I finally made it and enjoyed the ride. Here are some pictorials:

(Thus far in the trip, the bridge into Ile de Re is the biggest "climb" I have done)




(This place is so bike friendly, I rode bike paths like this one for 23 miles today, with backtracking)


(This cliff drops France into the Atlantic, notice the little airplane that happened to be taking off when I captured it)