Mar 17, 2010

When we think of Vegas we all think partying (no, not Interbike). When we think of Fayetteville, AR similar scenes flash through our heads. Let it be known that just as Vegas means business, Fayetteville means bike racing. The Natural State is known mostly for the Joe Martin Stage Race which rolls around each May, but that weekend is surrounded by oodles and noodles of good, clean racing. This past weekend Kris, Chris, Wade and myself headed up to throw down on the states season opener road race.

Upon arrival on Saturday I did my standard one hour loop North of town. It includes ridding past the Waste Management dump, through the Tyson Country Club (yes, that Tyson) neighborhood, and then past the old-drive in movie theater. It's like one of those rides at Disney World that takes you through all the different cultures in one big swoop. This time I was halted at the gates of the club for the first time and forced out to ride the highway with the common folk, where I suppose I belong. At least I still got to see the club house where the Chicken slingers drive their Titleist balls.

Fast forward past Mellow Mushroom that evening and to the start line the next morning. The Cat. 1/2 field had about 25-30 stallions ready to duke it out for 81 miles. The course included a 1.2 mile climb during each of four laps, and that is always where the winners win and the loosers loose.

Last year Brian Jensen made his move at the top of lap two and wasn't seen again by most of the field. This year I was glued to his wheel on lap one, then again on lap two. At the top I thought I was in the clear and mission accomplished, then he attacks, again. I had no response but luckily Chris Uberti came flying by me and hopped on his wheel. Jensen's teammate Steve Tilford followed and away they went with three others. My group of five stayed about 35 seconds behind them for about 20 miles. It was a sick, sick joke. The leaders gap eventually grew and we lost sight of them, but still had Uberti up there. Kris, Wade and myself all rode well together in our chase group, rotating pretty darn smooth. Wade pulled ahead on lap three and stayed between us and the lead group until the finish. In the end Steve Tilford rode to victory while Jensen was 2nd and our man Uberti was 3rd. All around it was a smooth race and it was great to get Uberti on the virtual podium after our first race together. Ben Upchurch put on a great event as always. To top it off he was handing out the cash prizes before anyone even got off their bikes, see this picture courtesy of Steve Tilford's blog. He also had some nice things to say about our kit. I complimented his kit, and the rainbow stripes around his sleeves.

Also, check out this video of the finish courtesy of Jon Landes-